All current Trustee and Board opportunities at Birmingham Museums Trust are shown below.
Charity Trustee and Non-Executive Company Director
Birmingham Museums Trust was set up in 2012 to manage the city’s museum collection and venues on behalf of Birmingham City Council. We use the city’s collection to reflect what is unique about the culture and heritage of Birmingham in a global context. We promote Birmingham to local, national and international audiences, and we use our venues to showcase new ideas from the rest of the world. We make the collections physically, digitally, intellectually and emotionally accessible to all our audiences, pushing the boundaries of traditional museum practice.
Birmingham Museums Trust has ambitious plans for the next ten years. In order to achieve them, we will find new sources of funding, grow our existing income generation activities, and move into new areas of business.
Our plans include three major capital projects:
- A new store and headquarters that is also a cultural and community hub.
- The Museum for Birmingham: a major refurbishment of Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery.
- A new Birmingham Museum of Science & Industry that will be a leader in STEM education, and showcase the city’s industrial history and its place at the cutting edge of innovation.
These projects will be transformational, not only in terms of buildings and displays but as catalysts for organisational change, providing the chance to introduce radically new ways of working with audiences, using the collection and doing business. The results will shape Birmingham’s museums and collection for a century to come.
We cannot do this alone. We wish appoint up to a number of talented people to join Birmingham Museums Trust’s Board. We are looking for individuals who have one or more of the following qualities:
- knowledge and experience of working with charities
- experience in regeneration and development projects
- strategic partnership building
- income generation
- excellent networks and expertise in tourism and hospitality, media, retail, healthcare and wellbeing, civic museums, or visitor attractions
- a passion for Birmingham’s past and future
- belief in and commitment to the values of Birmingham Museums Trust
For further information please read the role description.
Please submit a CV and covering letter to Sandra Starkey at: email@example.com
For an informal exploratory conversation please contact Professor Ian Grosvenor or Dr Ellen McAdam via Sandra Starkey on 0121 348 8019.
Closing date for applications: 9:00 am on Monday 30th April 2018.