What an incredible Inspire 2017 we had – over 60 entries were seen by some 130,000 visitors during the summer! Inspire 2018 is back and bigger than ever, returning to our prestigious Bridge Gallery at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. We will be showcasing work submitted by children and young people aged 5-19 years old living in the West Midlands. The theme for this year’s competition is: We Heart Colour!
We have hundreds of pounds of art vouchers to give away as prizes, and we need you! Children and young people should submit their work to our panel of artists and curators to be in with a chance and share their art with our huge audience. “We heart colour!” is inspired by artwork full of colour, emotion and stories, such as Gary Humes piece “Fragment of a rainbow IV” on loan from the Arts Council Collection, and An Ode to Christian Joy by Emily Sparkes.
We invite you to make art using the colours you love to tell a story, share a message or tell us about you. The judges and visitors can’t wait to see what you make and share – good luck to everyone!
Competition DetailsThere are three age categories this year, one winner and runner up will be selected from each. They are:
- 5-9 years
- 10-14 years
- 15-19 years
We welcome a a broad range of art for the competition, including all of the following:
- Creative writing
- Mixed media artwork
- Street art
- Digital artwork including film
How to enter
1. Enter your artworks by email only to: Inspire18@birminghammuseums.org.uk by 5pm on Friday 11th May.2. If you are under 18, please also include an email address for a parent or guardian.
3. Teachers or youth workers are very welcome to submit group entries. Please still include the above details for each individual piece.
4. Please include the following details in your email:
- Your name and age
- Your postcode
- The title of your art work
- A statement that tells a story about your art (35-50 words max)
Sending your work to us
Before you get started, please take a look at our advice about how to best photograph your artwork for Inspire 2018.
- Send us your artwork as good quality photograph or scan. This must be JPEG or PDF file. If you do not have a digital copy of your art we can’t judge it, so remember to use our handy guide to find the best way to capture your art digitally.
- Sculpture and fashion - please submit a 20-50 second video in a .mov or M-peg format.
- Digital artworks, film and performance - please upload a clip to YouTube and submit a link.
1. The judges will select three winners, one from each age category who will win vouchers and have their work center stage in the summer show at Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery opening Sunday July 22nd 2018.
2. Other shortlisted artworks will also be put on display in the Bridge Gallery at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. Finalists will be invited to the launch event and prize giving on Saturday 21st July 2018.
3. You must live in the West Midlands and be aged 5-19.
4. The closing date is Friday 11th May. Entries received after this time will not be submitted to the competition.
5. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
6. Prizes will not be exchanged or refunded and there is no cash alternative.
7. Artworks may be used for marketing and promotion purposes.