Artist, writer and breast cancer survivor, Claire Collison is your tour guide on this three-hour walk exploring multicultural mythologies surrounding breasts, and looking at their commodification throughout history to the present day - from religious martyrs to political activists, fine art to Page 3, nipple slip to slippery nipple.
Engaging in conversations and activities along the way, and ending with a whistle-stop visit to Women Power Protest, you will be unravelling the implications of this on how women feel about their own breasts.
Claire Collison's practice is rooted in place and identity - the writer and artist as witness, flaneur and psycho-geographer: "There are landscapes we walk through, and those we carry within: I am interested in charting where these places converge." The Birmingham Intimate Tour of Breasts is part of an ongoing series which began in 2016 as part of the Walking Women festival in London.
Claire Collison will also be delivering her single-breasted life modelling monologue Truth Is Beauty as part of Women Power Protest on Saturday 23rd March 2019, with drawings from the performance on display in the Gas Hall from Sunday 24th March - 31st March 2019
- This 3 hour walk begins at St Agatha’s Church, and concludes at Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery, with highlights from Women Power Protest.
- The walk also includes a short journey by bus.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Pre-booking is essential.
- Please meet at 12.45 outside Saint Agatha's Church, Stratford Road, Sparkbrook B11 1QT, to begin the tour. Bus passengers can use the 6 & 37, or the inner circle 8.
- GPS postcode: B11 1QT