This page contains comprehensive information for teachers bringing pupils on a visit to Thinktank, it includes pre-visit and on the day information.
Thinktank is an award-winning science museum with over 200 science and technology hands-on displays, plus a digital Planetarium and outdoor Science Garden. At Thinktank we believe that learning and fun go hand in hand. Let your pupils experience a world of discovery all under one roof.
Road Closures in March, April and May 2019
Please be aware of following road closures around Thinktank due to HS2. These closures may affect your journey to us:
- New Canal Street - 21 March to 3 April, 4 April to 12 April and 15 April to 24 April (phased road closures)
- Curzon Street - 25 April to 10 May and 13 May to 20 May
For enquiries or to make a booking contact the Education Bookings Team on 0121 348 8001 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the schools risk assessment (PDF) for Thinktank.
If you are a first time visitor to it is recommended that a member of your teaching staff attends a pre-visit. Download the pre-visit registration form (PDF) to arrange your pre-visit. Proof of teacher status must be shown at the ticket desk on entry (e.g. General Teaching Council membership, union membership card or signed headed school paper).
At Thinktank we offer a variety of sessions for groups from Early Years to Key Stage 4. There are three different types of sessions available:
- Science Shows - Lively shows with a member of the Learning Team. Be prepared for large scale experiments and audience participation!
- Planetarium Shows - Immerse yourselves in the wonders of science in a presenter-led 360 degree Planetarium
- Workshops - Take part in an interactive workshop in Thinktank’s classrooms and laboratory, led by a member of the Learning Team
Self-guided visits are available at Thinktank however pre-booking is strongly recommended so that an itinerary can be issued to ensure sufficient flow around the museum floors, and use of the lunch area can be timed appropriately. To plan and book your self-guided visit please contact our bookings team.
Home Educator Days are available on 3 dates per year. Full information is made available 1 month in advance, these days can be viewed on our Whats On page or Latest News page when they become available.
Thinktank is fully accessible.
Packed lunches can now be pre-ordered and will be ready for you on arrival in the picnic area. To pre-order packed lunches download the packed lunch order form (PDF).
Goodie bags are available to pre-order and can either be paid for on the day or via invoice to your school. We can prepare your own individual goodie bags or you can choose from our suggested goodie bag options, which start at £2. For more details and to pre-order your bags download the Goodie Bag Order Form (PDF).
Pupil / Teacher Ratio
- For Foundation and KS1 groups a minimum of 1 adult to every 6 children is required.
- For KS2 and over a minimum of 1 adult for every 10 children is required.
On the Day Information
School groups should arrive 15 minutes before the start of their first taught session. This will allow for pupils to disembark from the coach, drop off lunch bags and visit the toilets.
Late arrival may result in your taught sessions being shortened. Sessions cannot be carried over due to other groups and activities around the museum.
Coach Drop Off and Parking
There is no on-site mini bus or coach parking available. The coach drop off point is located on Cardigan Street (B4 7BD) which is a short walking distance to Thinktank’s group entrance. From 31st October 2016, the coach drop-off point will be on Curzon Street (B4 7XG) which is opposite Thinktank’s main entrance. If you travel by car you will be expected to pay the car parking charges for the Birmingham City Council multi-storey car park.
The schools entrance is situated on level 0.
There are five dedicated classroom spaces: two fully equipped for general use; one for Early Years and KS1 use; one computer suite and one science laboratory.
There is a dedicated lunch area situated on level 0. Please pre-book when making your booking.
The cloakroom with trolleys is situated on Level 0. Items are left at owners’ risk.
School toilets and disabled toilets are on all levels.
The gift shop is located on Level 2. Pupils are welcome to visit the shop as part of their day. We ask that a maximum of 60 pupils visit the shop at one time.
- It is the responsibility of the class teachers and accompanying adults to control the behaviour of pupils
- Pupils are expected to show respect, listen to the museum staff and follow instructions
- Adults must stay with the pupils at all times
- Pupils should not be led away from the Learning Officer unless instructed to do so and no one is to exit the building unless escorted by a member of staff
- No running in the museum
- No eating or drinking on the galleries
- Schools are discouraged from using the lifts
- No climbing on the exhibits
Photography is permitted.