Birmingham Museums Trust supports an active loans policy to provide increased access to its collections. We aim to achieve a balance between wider access to the collections, the care and safety of the objects and their preservation for future generations, as well as the need to maintain our own exhibition programmes and displays.
Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery is currently closed while electrical upgrade work of Birmingham’s Council House complex takes place. This is an extensive and essential programme of work which is needed to future-proof the building, making it safe for staff and visitors while safeguarding Birmingham’s collections housed there for generations to come. Our teams have significant commitments during this resource-intensive process.
As a result, during the period from 2021 – 2023, we are less able to resource outgoing loans to short-term exhibitions. We are still accepting loans requests during this period but are carefully considering them on a case-by-case basis. This approach to loans reflects the re-prioritisation of our resources, and the more focused, strategic management of lending.
Please read our Lending Guidelines and Procedures (PDF).
For loans enquiries, please contact:
Birmingham Museums Trust
Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery
Loans Request Process
We require twelve months notice for loan requests and letters must be addressed to the Co-CEOs of Birmingham Museums, Zak Mensah and Sara Wajid.
Zak Mensah & Sara Wajid
Co-CEOs of Birmingham Museums Trust
Birmingham Museums & Art Gallery
If you would like to request an object the letter should include:
- Object details including the accession number
- Exhibition dates and any tour venues and dates
- Reason for the loan and exhibition content
- A completed UKRG facilities report, security supplement, display supplement
- Environmental charts for the exhibition period one year prior to the proposed dates
- Contact details for the registrar or loan administrator
- An indication of how you will insure the loan i.e. Government Indemnity or commercial insurance.