We are pleased to be able to offer facilitated group visits to the Museum Collection Centre.
About Museum Collection Centre
The Museum Collection Centre is is the main store for Birmingham Museum Trust, holding over 80% of a collection of around a million items, many offering a real insight into life in Birmingham and the West Midlands over the centuries.
With only a small percentage of collections on display at Birmingham Museums, or on loan to other organisations, it is the only place to see collection items not normally on display.
A huge number of the objects are held on open storage in one very large warehouse which contains everything from aircraft engines to zoological specimens. Among the hundreds of thousands of objects stored here are steam engines, sculptures, cars, a giant spider crab, a retro chip fryer, and many more. Smaller objects, and objects that need more stable temperature and relative humidity, are stored in purpose-built spaces.
Group visit information
- A group visit consists of facilitated access to the main warehouse area.
- Your facilitator will provide a welcome to the site and assistance in the warehouse where you are free to explore at your leisure for 1½ hours. During your visit you will find a range of different artefacts including parts of the science and industry collection, social history, archaeology, natural history sculpture and more.
- We include 30 minutes at the start or finish for refreshments during your visit, tea, coffee and biscuits are included in the above fee.
The visit times are either a morning or afternoon slot, 10am – 12noon or 12.30pm – 2.30pm, Monday to Thursday.
It is £150 for up to 15 people, if you would like to bring more people let us know, this will incur an additional price.
Free coach parking if arranged in advance.
Terms and conditions apply.
Keeping everyone safe
What are our safety measures?
We want to make sure your visit is as safe and enjoyable as possible so some safety measures will continue:
- We support staff and visitors who wish to wear a face covering.
- Staff who test positive for COVID-19 isolate at home for at least 5 days until they have two successive negative tests.
- We have hand sanitisers at the entrance and throughout the building.
Please do not visit us if you are feeling unwell, have any symptoms of Covid-19 or have been in contact with anyone that has had the virus in the last 10 days. Please contact us if you have any further questions.