This collection spans eight centuries, from a 14th century Gothic ivory to contemporary art.
The collection has been built up by gift, bequest and purchase, with the support of key donors (notably Charles Fairfax Murray, James Richardson Holliday and J. Leslie Wright) and grant funding.
- the finest collection of art by the Pre-Raphaelites and their followers anywhere in the world
- an extensive collection by Birmingham-born landscape painter David Cox
- holdings of British 18th and 19th century watercolours
- late 19th century bronzes associated with the New Sculpture movement
- non-figurative contemporary British 20th century paintings.