The oldest part of the Mill dates from 1765. The chimney was built in 1855 when the steam engine was put in. As the pond was struggling to keep up with the needs of the two water wheels by the 1850s, the owner raised money to put in a steam engine to cope with the increased demand for power.
Sarehole has been used not only for corn grinding but also for metal trades such as sharpening tools, wire drawing and metal rolling. Matthew Boulton, manufacturer and business partner of engineer James Watt, leased the building between 1756 and 1761 and used it as a ‘flatting mill’ to producing sheet metal to make buttons.